Noah’s mom usually makes apple dump cake, which is awesome, don’t get me wrong…but I wanted to change it up a little.
- 1 20oz. can cubed pineapple (crushed would work too)
- 1 15oz. can tropical fruit mix
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 package (18.25oz.) orange cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Orange Supreme, but any one would work)
- 10oz. (a little over two sticks) butter
- ½c Instant Oatmeal
- First, drain all of the juice from the tropical fruit and maybe ⅓ of the juice from the pineapple into a bowl. Add the corn starch and sugar and mix well...there should be no lumps. Put in a pan (I like using a small omelet pan, but a sauce pan would work too) over low to medium heat with 2tbsp. of the butter and thicken up...it should become the consistency of pie filling. Add a little more corn starch if it doesn't get thick enough.
- In the meantime, dump the rest of the fruit (with the remaining juice) in a greased Pyrex dish (I really have no idea what size it is...not the biggest one in the Pyrex set, but the next biggest).
- Once the juice mixture thickens up on the stove, pour it on top of the fruit in the Pyrex.
- Pour the cake mix over that.
- Mix in the oatmeal to the cake mix (just kind of sprinkle it over and mix it in with your fingers).
- Melt the rest of the butter and pour on top evenly...it should cover all of the cake mix.
- Put in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Serve with ice cream.
Enjoy! 🙂 See more of my recipes here.
Images from a previous version of this post:
READY TO ORGANIZE A HOME YOU'LL LOVE?
Subscribe to the Lamberts Lately newsletter for the latest from the blog. You'll also get access to the newsletter-exclusive printable collection, full of home organization printables!