I've said it before, and I'll say it again: mornings just aren't my thing.
I normally consider myself a pretty organized person. I like to have a plan for my day, including what my family will eat. But mornings? Forget it. I turn into the Hot Mess Express.
My best bet to ward off morning chaos is to have a plan ahead of time. Before I go to bed each evening, I lay out the clothes we will wear the next day, mentally plan a breakfast menu for the next morning, and quickly go over my to-do list (especially the items that need to be done first thing).
Clothes are pretty easy, and I like to have a running to-do list each week. But breakfast can be tricky. Because I'm normally working with little prep time each morning, I need something that is pretty quick & easy to prepare, healthy, and toddler-approved (because, trust me, we've officially entered the picky toddler stage).
Here are a few things I keep on hand for quick & healthy breakfasts (I usually pair a couple of these for a well-rounded meal):
1. Fresh Fruit – We have a constant supply of grapes, strawberries, bananas, and sliced apples in our house…they make for quick breakfasts, side dishes, and snacks. I like to slice anything I'm going to need in the morning the night before.
2. Make-Ahead French Toast Sticks – Crazy easy idea – make 4-5 slices of French toast at a time, cut each slice into 3-4 pieces, and freeze. Microwave for 30 seconds as needed and serve with syrup for dipping.
3. Frozen Breakfast Sandwiches – I love to keep a stock of these on hand! They make so many different varieties now.
Our current favorites are Jimmy Dean's Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Croissant Sandwiches. They are a quick, delicious, and warm meal that you can pop in the microwave – they require only 3 minutes of morning prep time! Even I can handle that one. I love that they provide a great source of protein too.
4. Smoothie Packs – Freeze yogurt, milk, and coffee (for adults, of course!) in ice cube trays…store cubes in zip-top bags. I also like to freeze berries, pineapple, peaches, kiwi, etc. and throw a few pieces in. When ready to make your smoothie, mix with a little bit of milk/water in a blender.
5. Frozen Fritatta Cups – You can get my recipe for these here. They freeze beautifully!
6. Boiled Eggs – Make several one night a week and store in fridge! They provide a super healthy, balanced dose of protein.
7. Muffins – Of course the fruit variety is always popular, but I like changing it up a little bit a little sometimes! I love French Toast Muffins, Savory Texas Muffins, or Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins.
8. Smashed Avocado on Toast – Smash 3-4 avocados into a bowl…mix in lemon/lime juice and store until ready to serve (this normally holds up for 2-3 days for me). I spread about 1/2 avocado worth on a slice of toast and top with salt/pepper/red pepper flakes.
9. Breakfast Bars – Of course the store-bought versions are great, but there are lots of homemade recipes out there!
10. Peanut Butter Quesadillas – This is one of Emma Ramey's favorites – spread peanut butter (and maybe a sliced banana) on a tortilla and fold in half. So easy!
I'm sure there are many other options I'm forgetting, but these tend to be our go-tos. I hope these help some of those other “anti-morning” people out there!
READY TO ORGANIZE A HOME YOU'LL LOVE?
Subscribe to the Lamberts Lately newsletter for the latest from the blog. You'll also get access to the newsletter-exclusive printable collection, full of home organization printables!