I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: mornings just aren’t my thing.
I normally consider myself a pretty organized person. I like to have a plan for my day, including what my family will eat. But mornings? Forget it. I turn into the Hot Mess Express.
My best bet to ward off morning chaos is to have a plan ahead of time. Before I go to bed each evening, I lay out the clothes we will wear the next day, mentally plan a breakfast menu for the next morning, and quickly go over my to-do list (especially the items that need to be done first thing).
Clothes are pretty easy, and I like to have a running to-do list each week. But breakfast can be tricky. Because I’m normally working with little prep time each morning, I need something that is pretty quick & easy to prepare, healthy, and toddler-approved (because, trust me, we’ve officially entered the picky toddler stage).
Here are a few things I keep on hand for quick & healthy breakfasts (I usually pair a couple of these for a well-rounded meal):
1. Fresh Fruit – We have a constant supply of grapes, strawberries, bananas, and sliced apples in our house…they make for quick breakfasts, side dishes, and snacks. I like to slice anything I’m going to need in the morning the night before.
2. Make-Ahead French Toast Sticks – Crazy easy idea – make 4-5 slices of French toast at a time, cut each slice into 3-4 pieces, and freeze. Microwave for 30 seconds as needed and serve with syrup for dipping.
3. Frozen Breakfast Sandwiches – I love to keep a stock of these on hand! They make so many different varieties now.
Our current favorites are Jimmy Dean’s Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Croissant Sandwiches. They are a quick, delicious, and warm meal that you can pop in the microwave – they require only 3 minutes of morning prep time! Even I can handle that one. I love that they provide a great source of protein too.
4. Smoothie Packs – Freeze yogurt, milk, and coffee (for adults, of course!) in ice cube trays…store cubes in zip-top bags. I also like to freeze berries, pineapple, peaches, kiwi, etc. and throw a few pieces in. When ready to make your smoothie, mix with a little bit of milk/water in a blender.
5. Frozen Fritatta Cups – You can get my recipe for these here. They freeze beautifully!
6. Boiled Eggs – Make several one night a week and store in fridge! They provide a super healthy, balanced dose of protein.
7. Muffins – Of course the fruit variety is always popular, but I like changing it up a little bit a little sometimes! I love this recipe for French Toast Muffins, this one for Savory Texas Muffins, and this one for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins.
8. Smashed Avocado on Toast – Smash 3-4 avocados into a bowl…mix in lemon/lime juice and store until ready to serve (this normally holds up for 2-3 days for me). I spread about 1/2 avocado worth on a slice of toast and top with salt/pepper/red pepper flakes.
9. Breakfast Bars – Of course the store-bought versions are great, but there are lots of homemade recipes out there!
10. Peanut Butter Quesadillas – This is one of Emma Ramey’s favorites – spread peanut butter (and maybe a sliced banana) on a tortilla and fold in half. So easy!
I’m sure there are many other options I’m forgetting, but these tend to be our go-tos. I hope these help some of those other “anti-morning” people out there!
Now tell me: what’s your favorite way to start the day off right? Tell me in the comments of this post for a chance to win a $100 VISA gift card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 3/5/2015 – 3/29/2015
Be sure to visit Jimmy Dean’s brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!
READY TO ORGANIZE A HOME YOU'LL LOVE?
Subscribe to the Lamberts Lately newsletter for the latest from the blog. You'll also get access to the newsletter-exclusive printable collection, full of home organization printables!