This easy recipe for Lemon Drop Chess Squares uses a from scratch recipe to make the Southern classic. This lemon-flavored chess cake/pie is incredibly rich!
But then, a few days later, I remember why: they are completely addictive and I have zero will power against them. As a matter of fact, a few of these are currently sitting in my kitchen and it’s taking everything I’ve got to say no right now.
Another reason I love this recipe is that you can add basically any flavor in to change it up a little bit! I made these for Easter Sunday…how perfect is the bright flavor of lemon for a spring dessert? These are great throughout the warmer months for a rich, but bright treat.
Here’s the recipe I used!
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1 stick (1/2 cup), melted butter
- 1 egg
- cream cheese, room temperature 8oz
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup sweetened lemonade mix
- 2 eggs
- Mix together cake mix, 1 egg, and stick of butter until smooth. Press mixture in the bottom of a greased 9x13" glass dish.Mix together remaining ingredients using a mixer (until smooth). Pour this mixture on top of cake mix in glass dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until mixture is set and top starts to brown. Let cool for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Images from a previous version of this post:
READY TO ORGANIZE A HOME YOU'LL LOVE?
Subscribe to the Lamberts Lately newsletter for the latest from the blog. You'll also get access to the newsletter-exclusive printable collection, full of home organization printables!