If you’re anything like me, in the next few weeks you’ll make all of these amazing plans for what you’re going to do with those long summer days. You prep fun at-home activities, schedule exciting outings, and even plan picture-perfect lunches for your kids.
And if you’re anything like me, those plans usually last a week or two before the chaos ensues.
So I don’t know about you guys, but for me, it’s key to be a little more realistic about those fun summer plans. I still like to put together exciting and enriching things for us to do/eat/see, but I also try to make sure I’m planning things that are fun but not over-complicated (i.e. things I’ll actually do rather than just plan).
And that definitely applies in the lunch department too. No, I’m not going to make perfectly themed lunches every single day… let’s be real: it’s just not going to happen. Instead, I like to think up fun ideas that are nutritious and easy to prep with two stir-crazy kids in the house! Bonus points if I can think of a way to get those stir-crazy kids to help me make lunch.
So this recipe for Inside-Out Sandwich Cups is perfect for those lazy summer days when you want a nutritious lunch that incorporates a little bit of fun and lets your kids help in the kitchen. It’s a great way to sneak in a few veggies too! Here’s the recipe – and with this, I use “recipe” as a very loose term. It’s really more of a method: you can use whatever fillings your family likes in this!
- 1 pack HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® OVEN ROASTED DELI TURKEY
- 1 pack HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® UNCURED HARD SALAMI
- 5 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 8oz pack cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 small heads or 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 yellow squash
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
While the bread/salami is baking, place HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® OVEN ROASTED DELI TURKEY in greased muffin tins, making a cup shape. Bake these in a 400-degree oven for about 10 minutes, until edges of cups start to brown.
While your cups are baking, chop all veggies into bite-sized pieces. Lay veggies out buffet-style so kids can choose what they’d like in their cups.
Beat together eggs, cream cheese, salt, and pepper in a mixer. Fold in bread pieces. Let kids mix in their ingredients into this mixture…this is a great opportunity to get them involved in the cooking!
Pour filling into the cooked turkey cups and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until tops of the filling start to brown. Serve warm.
No duplicate comments. You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected. The Official Rules are available here. This sweepstakes runs from XX-7/31/17. Be sure to visit the HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® brand page where you can read other bloggers’ posts!
*No nitrates or nitrites added except for those naturally occurring in cultured celery and cherry powder.
READY TO ORGANIZE A HOME YOU'LL LOVE?
Subscribe to the Lamberts Lately newsletter for the latest from the blog. You'll also get access to the newsletter-exclusive printable collection, full of home organization printables!