‘Tis the season for everything eggnog! We are huge eggnog fans around here – we love it in everything from coffee to desserts. And, when I saw a variation of this recipe floating around the internet, I thought eggnog would be the perfect fit for the flavors and texture of this dessert! Thus, magic eggnog custard cake was born.
The reason this recipe is magic (and, thus, pretty fun to make with kids) is the batter. With one batter, the cake will “magically” bake into 2 distinct sections; a fluffy, cake-y top layer and a rich, custardy bottom layer. They blend together to give this treat an amazing texture.
When you make this batter, I’ll go on and warn you – you are totally going to think this recipe won’t work. It looks really thin and seems like there is no chance it will bake into anything edible. It works, trust me! You just need to be super careful not to collapse the egg whites when folding in and make sure nothing is over-mixed.
Check out the recipe below…
- 4 room temperature eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) melted salted butter (not hot; just melted)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups lukewarm eggnog (microwaved for 30-45 seconds and stirred)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8x8" baking dish with parchment paper (or use a silicone baking dish and give it a light spray with cooking spray).
- Separate egg whites and yolks into two separate bowls. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until whites form still peaks. Set whites aside.
- Mix together yolks, sugar, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla. Slowly mix in flour until there are no lumps. Slowly add eggnog (this will make batter thin).
- Gently fold in the egg whites. Whites do not have to be completely mixed in; you might see some lumps of egg white.
- Bake for 60 minutes at 325 degrees, until top turns brown and cake is set. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before dusting with powdered sugar, cutting with a sharp knife, and serving warm.
READY TO ORGANIZE A HOME YOU'LL LOVE?
Subscribe to the Lamberts Lately newsletter for the latest from the blog. You'll also get access to the newsletter-exclusive printable collection, full of home organization printables!