This Pressure Cooker Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili is a healthy alternative to the traditional recipe – loaded with rich tomato flavor and can be prepped in the Instant Pot!
Moms and dads out there: you know the constant struggle to get your kids to eat things that aren’t chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese. It’s an everyday fight that we’re all going to fight sooner or later. There’s no question that the easiest way I’ve found to get healthy food on a plate (that my kids will actually touch) is to integrate it into recipes they already know and love.
My kids know chili. They will actually eat chili. So, when I was making the recipe list for my original freezer meal boot camp, I thought, “why not sneak a few healthy things into chili?” That’s where this idea for Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili came from, and it’s been a fan favorite ever since!
You might think the sweet potatoes would stand out in a bad way in this dish, but they integrate beautifully with the rich tomato base. I love the combination of flavors here. If you’re craving a comfort food like chili but need to lean down a little bit, you’ll love this recipe!
As a reminder: I’ll be sharing a recipe for each week of the summer (10 weeks total). On the 11th week, I’ll have a full pack of printables, recipes, and prep instructions to make all of these recipes at once for your freezer, just like my other Freezer Meal Boot Camps! (UPDATE: The full freezer meal boot camp is now available here!) You can check out the other recipes in this series below:
Part 7 – Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili (you’re here!)
In each of these posts, I’ll share how to make the recipe from either fresh or frozen. (And a note: if you’ve done my boot camps before, these recipes might vary slightly from the original version to make overall prep easier.)
Ingredient List 1: If freezing, put the following in your freezer container:
1lb cooked ground turkey
1 diced sweet potato
1 cup chopped onion
1 can chick peas
1 can chili beans
1 can Rotel
14 oz of diced tomatoes
1 tsp better than bouillon chicken
1 pack chili seasoning
(Don’t forget to label your meal – here’s a free printable for that!)
Ingredients Needed For Serve Day:
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 package cornbread mix (with eggs/milk to prepare)
(If Prepping From Frozen) On Serve Day…
1. Thaw your meal enough to pop out of the freezer container.
2. Add frozen meal & 2 cups water to IP.
3. Set IP for high, 30 minutes. Once cook cycle is up, quick release the pressure.
4. While the IP is cooking, prep cornbread per package directions.
5. Once IP cycle is done and pressure is released, stir soup well. Garnish with cheese and sour cream with cornbread on the side.
(If Prepping From Fresh) On Serve Day…
1. Add ingredients from list 1 & 2 cups water to IP.
2. Set IP for high, 30 minutes. Once cook cycle is up, quick release the pressure.
3. While the IP is cooking, prep cornbread per package directions.
4. Once IP cycle is done and pressure is released, stir soup well. Garnish with cheese and sour cream with cornbread on the side.
(UPDATED: You can now find the full Best of Freezer Meal Boot Camp, including full prep instructions and labels, here!)
ACCESS EXCLUSIVE PRINTABLES FOR THE FREEZER MEAL BOOT CAMPS!
Subscribe to the Lamberts Lately newsletter for the latest from the blog and access to my Freezer Meal Boot Camp grocery lists and printable packs!