Check out this recipe for peanut butter & jelly thumbprint cookies. Such a fun, easy homemade dessert that’s perfect for Christmas – super soft and chewy!
For today’s Christmas cookie recipe, I’m taking on one of the most classic flavor combinations ever.
Who doesn’t love a good peanut butter and jelly (my kids, that’s who – but that’s a different topic for a different day). For this recipe, I used a knock-out peanut butter cookie recipe that are honestly amazing on their own. I even made a few of these cookies without preserves for my kids…and trust me, the actual cookies don’t need anything else. But, if you love the flavor combination of peanut butter and jelly like I do, you’ll love the addition of preserves on top.
This is not only a great flavor combination, but a fun texture one as well. The thumbprint part kind of makes a solid jelly glaze that goes so well with the slightly crunchy cookie.
Making the actual thumbprints is so simple (and really fun to get kids involved in the kitchen). Roll the thick cookie dough into 1″ (ish) balls. Put those on a cookie sheet and literally make a thumbprint in them!
My kids loved getting in on this one. Let’s face it – sticking your finger in a big cookie dough ball is kind of fun. 🙂 Make sure it’s a decent-sized thumbprint to get the most jelly into that cookie!
You can use your favorite jelly/jam/preseves flavor for this one – the ideas really are endless. You could even do a pie filling if you want something with a little bit more oomph to it.
Grab the recipe for Peanut Butter & Jelly Thumbprint Cookies below!
Peanut Butter & Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 sticks butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 small jar favorite preserves/jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt). Set aside.
- With a mixer, cream together butter and sugars until well-blended. Mix in peanut butter, vanilla extract, and eggs just until blended.
- Slowly (about 1/2 cup at a time), mix in dry ingredients. Once blended, use your hands to roll dough in to 1" balls. Place 2" apart on a greased cookie sheet and use your thumb to make an indention in each cookie. Spoon your favorite preserves into each indention just until full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes, just until sides of cookie start to brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes, allowing tops to set.
I’ll be back tomorrow with one more Christmas cookie recipe. Check out the others in this series here.
WANT THE LATEST RECIPES FROM LAMBERTS LATELY?
Subscribe to get my latest content straight to your inbox. You'll also receive exclusive access to my collection of printables!