This Apple Pumpkin Upside Down Cake is one of the best recipes for fall – uses a spice cake base (great for pumpkin bread) with caramel apple topping. Add to your list of fall desserts!
Happy (almost) Halloween! I've got another great autumn treat for you guys today – you're going to want to add this recipe for Apple Pumpkin Upside Down Cake to your rotation of fall desserts.
This ended up being such an easy recipe – all you have to do is saute a few peeled/cored apples in a cast iron skillet, add the caramel topping, and pour a delicious spice/pumpkin cake over the top (then bake, of course). It's one of those recipes that seems super complicated, when in reality, you can use a few great shortcut ingredients (like jarred caramel sauce and spice cake mix) to make a really easy treat!
This one has all of the flavors of fall – the rich spice of pumpkin, the sweet glaze of a caramel apple, and even a little bit of texture and earthiness from the walnuts. This recipe actually uses the same base as my Pumpkin Spice Tres Leches Cake from a couple of weeks ago, but you wouldn't really know it – they're used in totally different ways in the two recipes. The contrast between the pumpkin bread base and the ooey gooey apple caramel topping is so good – and trust me, this is one that's best served warm. It pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee for an autumn evening dessert.
If you're a fan of rich, spicy fall flavors, you'll want to try this Apple Pumpkin Upside Down Cake. The easy recipe can be found below!
Apple Pumpkin Upside Down Cake
- 4-5 apples peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 12.25 oz jarred caramel topping
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a cast iron skillet. Once melted and bubbling (slightly brown), add in apples. Saute for 5 minutes, until slightly broken down.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in caramel topping. Combine walnuts with caramel mixture.
- In a large bowl, mix together spice cake mix, melted stick of butter, milk, and pumpkin puree. Pour over caramel mixture in skillet (do not mix).
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted halfway into cake comes out clean.
- Turn cake onto a cake pan, apple side facing up.
You can also check out this video about Pumpkin Apple Upside Down Cake for easy reference…
Hope you enjoy this cake on a cool fall night, friends! If you'd like to see more of my recipes, you can click here.
WANT THE LATEST RECIPES FROM LAMBERTS LATELY?
Subscribe to get my latest content straight to your inbox. You'll also receive exclusive access to my collection of printables!